Self-esteem refers to the feelings we have for ourselves, and it starts developing slowly, from…
It’s no secret that finding a costume your kid will love can be a challenge. After all, their favorite TV character changes weekly — and you likely don’t want to spend so much money on a pre-made costume since they’re only going to wear it once.
Fortunately, we’ve got you covered with several simple DIY Halloween costume ideas your kids will love. With a few supplies you may already have in your craft bin, you can create an adorable costume for cheap. Check out several ideas below!
Halloween Costumes for Your Little Kids
Bring your baby along with the rest of the family for some trick-or-treating fun by using one of these last-minute costume ideas perfect for babies:
Here’s a precious costume for the youngest trick-or-treaters. As a bonus, your lamb will be able to say cozy and warm during a chilly Halloween night.
- Cotton balls
- White beanie
- White onesie (one size up)
- Black pants
- Black long-sleeve top or onesie
- Black fleece material
- Hot glue and/or needle kit and black thread
- Glue the white cotton balls to the white onesie and white beanie.
- Cut the black felt into four rounded triangle shapes.
- Sew or glue two pieces of the black felt together twice to create the ears.
- Sew or glue the black felt to either side of the white beanie.
- Layer the cotton ball onesie over the black leggings and the black top.
This baby strawberry costume is easy to put together, and the materials are affordable and easy to find in most crafts aisles.
- Red dress
- Green beanie
- Yellow felt
- Green felt
- Fabric glue
- Cut the yellow felt into small ovals to make the strawberry seeds.
- Glue the seeds across the dress.
- Cut the green felt to create a collar, or the top of the strawberry.
- Glue the strawberry collar around the top of the dress.
- Cut out a small rectangle from the green felt and roll it lengthwise into a tube to create the stem. Glue the long ends together.
- Glue the strawberry stem onto the beanie.
Halloween Costumes for Your Big Kids
Do you need ideas to help your older children decide what to be this year? Check out the list of creative DIY Halloween costumes for big kids below:
With supervision, your kids can make this pineapple costume themselves!
- Yellow t-shirt or dress
- Black paint
- Green headband
- Green construction paper
- Toilet paper roll
- Hot glue
- Optional: Striped socks and sunglasses
- Place the cardboard inside of the shirt or dress to create a barrier so the paint doesn’t bleed through.
- Use the black paint to create several upward chevron marks on the shirt or dress.
- Glue a toilet paper roll to the top of the headband.
- Cut differently sized leaves out of the construction paper.
- Glue the leaves to the toilet paper roll.
- Once dry, wind the paper downwards over your finger to give them a curl.
Witch Hat and Broom
If your child already has a black dress and black flats or sneakers in their closet, check out how to make a witch hat and broom to go with it.
- Black fabric
- Black thread
- Black ribbon
- Tree branch
- Corn straw
- Hot glue
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine/needle set
- Measure the circumference of your child’s head.
- Cut out two circles of fabric for the brim of the hat. Cut a smaller circle in the middle of each circle, which should match the circumference.
- Fold another sheet of fabric in half. Cut out a triangle for the hat’s cone. Duplicate this piece of fabric to go on the inside of the brim.
- Turn the triangle inside out. Sew the sides of the triangle together to create the cone. Using a double layer of fabric will make it stand up straight.
- Sew the two brim circles together along the outer edge.
- Turn the cone inside out and sew it to the brim. Pull it right-side-out when finished.
- Decorate the outside of the hat with ribbon or other items.
- Cut any pointy edges off the tree branch, and trim the corn straw to your taste.
- Glue a good amount of corn straw to one end of the branch, making sure the branch overlaps with the straw by at least a few inches.
- Secure the overlapping tips of the corn straw with some twine, tying it several times around.
- For decoration and to keep the straw secure, wrap the middle of the corn straw with a few more strands of twine.
Hot Air Balloon
This costume will make them feel light on their feet and ready to collect some candy.
- Large cardboard box
- Exacto knife
- Spray paint
- Acrylic paint
- Wood glue
- Four large wooden square dowels
- Several helium-filled balloons with ribbons
- Find a box wide enough for your child to stand in. Cut the flaps off.
- Spray-paint the exterior. Let dry.
- Trim about 4 inches off the bottom of the box. Save this part for the top of the balloon.
- Paint check marks on the box to make it look like a basket. Let dry.
- Use the wood glue to set up your dowels, placing them several inches inside the corner edges of the box to keep them from slipping out. Estimate their length based on the child’s height.
- Attach the 4-inch box bottom to the dowels with glue.
- Cut two holes near the top of the box for shoulder straps on the front and back sides. Have your child stand inside the box to make sure the straps are the right length.
- Knot the straps on either side of the box.
- Poke holes in the top piece for the balloon strings.
- Tie your balloons around the holes.
Halloween Costumes for the Family
Are you looking for a way to match your costume to your child’s? Here’s an easy DIY Halloween costume for a small group.
Ice Cream Cone
This ice cream cone will look too adorable to eat and makes for a cute picture with their ice cream Bestie Beanbag!
- White shirt or onesie
- White tutu
- Brown leggings or tights
- Various colors of construction paper
- Red pompom
- Green pipe cleaners
- Hot glue
- Cut different colored construction paper into ovals to make sprinkles.
- Glue or pin the sprinkles onto the white shirt.
- Glue the pompom to the top of a headband to make a cherry.
- Cut the pipe cleaner in half and glue it to the top of the pompom.
- Layer the white tutu over the brown tights or leggings and pair it with the sprinkle shirt.
- Put the cherry headband on top.
Ice Cream Server
To go along with your little ice cream cones, you can be the ice cream server.
- White long sleeve shirt
- White apron
- Bow tie
- Khaki pants
- Shoebox lid
- White paint
- Ice cream cones
- Cotton balls
- 2 yards of fabric strap
- Hot glue
- Measuring tape
- Optional: Pastel paint for cones
- Optional: Soda jerk paper hat
- Paint the shoebox lid white. Let dry.
- Once dry, cut out several 1-inch holes on the bottom of the lid.
- Glue 1-2 yards of 2-inch fabric strap pieces on each side of the shoebox. The length will depend on your height and where you want the tray to sit. Make sure to measure before cutting.
- Glue the cotton balls together to look like a scoop of ice cream. Create as many scoops for however many cones you want to sit in the tray. Feel free to paint them to create the look of different flavors.
- Glue the cotton ball spheres to the top of the ice cream cones.
- Place each of these cones inside the 1-inch holes and glue them to stay in place.
- Put on the shirt, pants and bow tie. Strap on the ice cream tray.
Soft Landing Wishes You a Happy Halloween
We make products with the kids’ happiness in mind. Our team of designers, illustrators and professionals are here to make sure you have a fun Halloween! Browse Soft Landing’s collection of products, which make for adorable additions to your kids’ rooms or playrooms — and make for the perfect spot to lounge while unwrapping a stash of Halloween candy.